Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Kentucky Falls

Oh me oh my! The day we spent adventuring out to Kentucky Falls was yet another memory I couldn't help but write about. I don't want to forget this day!! Greg is ALWAYS researching new places to explore. This one happened to be out in the middle of no where with a little "off roading" included! Kentucky Falls is 3 hours north of here, in the Mapleton area. SO, if we are going to head out somewhere that may be far, we need entertainment along the way right?! Of course!! And what entertains us when driving?! Our new favorite thing, GEOCACHING! So Greg planned out a few stops along the way.

Our first stop was at the North Fork Bridge. Unfortunately, we didn't find a treasure. When we were looking, Greg heard a snake and we decided to move on lol. But this bridge was pretty cool, and the kids loved throwing rocks in the water for a bit!

Our next stop was a treasure found at "Skull Rock". I found the "Skull Rock", Greg found the Geocache! Team work people! ;)
Just down the road was a Geocache that was near a waterfall. Noah found this one! He was so so excited! Here's what a lot of the Caches look like. They come in a container, usually painted so it's not too obvious. You will see a bag with some kind of notebook to write your name and date, then some kind of knick knacks. We usually throw in little Dollar Store toy animals.
After a nice scenic drive the kids were OH so patient, we made it!! I was thinking we were going to be the only ones there and that this was not a very popular waterfall. Boy was I wrong, 3 other cars had shown up within minutes of us! Piper was not a fan lol!
While we waited for everyone to head out (so Piper would calm down), Noah found another Geocache right at the parking lot! A perfect start to the hike!
 Another Geocache found!
About a mile in was our first waterfall, AKA Upper Kentucky Falls!


A little peak of what it was like hiking down and seeing the first waterfall!
Although it was just the beginning of our hike, it was already 12:30, so we stopped and had some lunch! The perfect "bench-like" rocks to have a seat and eat!
After lunch, we were led to more Geocaches! Noah found one under the bridge before we could even read him the clue! He's getting good! Greg helped Kam find the next one behind a tree!
Silly girl!
We finally made our trek down to our next waterfall...TWIN waterfalls! We found it odd that our whole hike so far was downhill, we questioned how our walk back was going to be, but we were quickly distracted by the gorgeous waterfalls. One called Kentucky Creek Lower Falls (Right) and the other called Smith River (left)

This area had a nice lookout point where we then climbed down into a spot where we could take a break and enjoy the scenery (and a snack!). We were all getting pretty tired at this point! Well, me (at 33 weeks pregnant) and the kids!

As we headed back UP to the car. It took us a good hour and a half at least. Greg ended up carrying Kamryn on his shoulders, Noah pushed through like a champ, and I had Piper dragging me up lol! Jk. The kids were troopers through this whole thing. I have read that this hike round trip is about 4.5 miles and our kids were fantastic. They always impress me and I could not be more proud! Thank you to my husband for another great hike! Can't wait to for the next one! Although I would have to say this is probably as far of a hike I could go! Glad I didn't go into labor!! We were all troopers, really!

Let the Busick Adventures continue....

Oh wait! They did!! We found ONE MORE Geocache on our way home!! THEN we were done done. We went a different way home and I am so glad we did! Even if it took us the opposite way of home, it didn't matter, we saw some remarkable views!!



Okay Okay...Let the Busick Adventures CONTINUE....
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment