Monday, August 6, 2012

My Trip Around the Gulf

So this post starts on May 31st and goes through Aug 2nd at 9 am to be exact. I left on my first "underway" in the Coast Guard and this is how it all went. So first off, being a "new guy", they had rules. Rules I personally thought were good for an 18 year old but for an "old guy" (27) they were a bit over the top. So no TV or any electronics at all, this includes to study using a lap top for notes. No sitting in the black chairs. Only chairs in our berthing area that is. So the only place to study was the mess deck (where everyone hangs out). So that's the start. We left Cape May without any issues and started to head south. Plans changed about 10 times in three days and once we found out what they wanted us to do, they still weren't sure for how long and all. Being flexible is huge I learned. Our first mission came out as to escort the Navy into Norfolk, Virginia. They were doing some Parade and showing off their ships. There were Navy ships from other countries as well. We had our first port call there for one night. I was able to get off the boat and have a good meal.


We weren't sure if we would tag along with this Parade thing with the Navy or go south. We ended up going south and we received a call that two people were missing. I guess a few guys went diving but the boats anchor came loose and drifted away. There was a guy in the boat but he didn't realize he was drifting away. So we got the call because we were within 20 miles. We ended up lowering our small boat and they found the divers. CG saved the day! haha. We ended up going south and ended up receiving some Cuban migrants. We were the bigger boat in the area so we were the holding platform for them. We then handed them off to another boat so we could pull into port. We ended up going to Key West for a couple nights. I had a great time. I went snorkeling and kayaking.
Off the bow of our ship. 

Oh, we were all growing mustaches too. Mine was pretty awesome while it lasted haha.


The South Key lighthouse.


 This is also where we snorkeled. It was a bit rough so it wasn't as fun as I was hoping. Still fun though. I also learned, back in the day they use to turn the light houses off at night so ships would run aground. Once they were stuck the locals would loot the ships. That's how Key West was once the richest cities per capita. After the snorkeling we were able to have some beers and kayak. That was definitely better then the snorkeling. They had us kayak to a sandbar which was awesome. 
Scruggs (Another Coastie) and I Kayaking.

In the Trees

Having a cold one on a sandbar.

I also walked a mile or so to the southern most point of the continental United States. I did this by myself just to get away from everyone. On my way I ran into another famous lighthouse.

The Key West lighthouse. First lit in 1849.
 The waves were actually crashing into the wall and going onto this marker. No, there weren't any homemade rafts near it.

 After this fun adventure we headed back out. It was a bit rough leaving. Here's a storm with a water spout (AKA tornado over water).


We were sent to go to Cancun (off season there haha) to meet up with the Mexican Navy and our Navy. We anchored about 10 miles off the coast to meet up with the other ships. While we were there a nice tropical storm was there, too. 
That's what Cancun looks like from about 10 miles off the coast.

So this storm just got worse and it was suppose to last for a week in the area we were suppose to be training in. So after a night there and a meeting between our higher ups the training was cancelled. So back to Key West we went. On our way back I thought I'd get a video for you. 

 
Sorry I'm still a big dork.

We were also patrolling while heading back. We had another night in Key West but I had duty. Having duty means stuck on the boat. Then we were off to the open ocean again. This time South. We ended up going after some go fast boats by Puerto Rico. We never caught them and it was just a big mess. The good news is we got to stop in Puerto Rico. This one was just for fuel. But here's another light house. 

After we got fuel, we went back out to burn it. Didn't do much but then we stopped in San Juan. What a beautiful area. Had a great time here, too.  Here's a fort and this is off our boat coming in.

Going to the fort

A cool tree I found.

From inside the fort looking into the bad area. To the left was an area we were told we weren't allowed to go. 


The streets of San Juan.

San Juan and our boat to the left. On our way to the Bacardi Factory. 

Then we went to patrol off the coast of Haiti. We basically went back and forth on a bar pat. Then we headed to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. That's right, I've been to Cuba as an American and lived haha. We had a one night stay there. Wasn't fun because we have to stay on base (obvious reasons) and my phone didn't even work because it would be roaming or what not. I did go bowling and to the exchange. 

Not too exciting but this is a little of Cuba.

After that stay, back to Haiti to do the same bar pat. We never had any migrants or anything. It was really boring and HOT. This whole trip was HOTTTTTTT!!!!!!! At least we got some good sunsets.





At the end of this trip our captain gave us a swim call. I guess this was the first swim call in 2 years. A swim call is....We get to go swimming in the ocean. So here's some of the fun.


Here's everyone else too.

Here's me jumping.



A little training on our way home. 


After all of this we made are way home. My first patrol I was able to pass several test and a board so I am fully qualified. This means all those rules do not apply to me anymore. Best part of the whole trip....



THANK YOU FOR ALL THE SUPPORT!!!!!!









No comments:

Post a Comment