Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Hurricane Sandy: Home Sweet Home!

Yay! We're HOME! It feels so good. I was getting so anxious last night I decided to grab a luggage cart and pack it up for the morning. They only had 3 carts (I felt so sneaky!) haha. So we woke up at 7:30 this morning and got ready and headed downstairs to pack up the car. Even though we couldn't be back at housing until 12, we were packed and ready by 9:30. Noah and I went to breakfast and then left around 10:15. We made it early, so we stopped off and did a little grocery shopping. Driving home, I was feeling a little emotional. Not knowing what to expect and just feeling extremely lucky we weren't hit the way other parts of New Jersey were hit. I am so grateful for just having electricity!
So on the drive I didn't see much damage except for branches on the ground. A little water on the side of the parkway but nothing too noticeable. Driving into Cape May, if I didn't know there was a hurricane, I wouldn't have noticed a difference. Cape May still looked beautiful! BUT, once I got down to the beach area, there was more damage. As I said in the last blog, there was a good amount of sand covering each end of Beach Avenue. The west end was almost cleared but the east end was still packed with sand. So here is what you all have been waiting for! LOL

I did a quick drive around housing, and I think we might have the worst exterior. And from the response I got from the maintenance guys, I'm pretty sure I'm right :)



 Taking a drive down Beach Ave...
 Stopped to check out the west end of Beach Avenue...
We didn't walk down too far, but it looked like they may be almost done with this end.

 LOOK! Tractors!!

 
A little "pond" in the middle of the beach...
Here is a photo I saw on Facebook  (same spot as above)...
 Sitting and watching the tractors cleaning up the sand from the street...it was COLD!!
 East end of Beach Avenue. AKA my mom's favorite area!
So many beautiful homes. Obviously a lot of work to be done.
Felt bad seeing the people standing in their balconies just watching people walk around on the sand a.k.a. their street!
 (Click to view larger)
 Found a hole, not even close to the street..
 Pretty
 Hi Handsome Boy...He was loving the sand of course!
 Beach Avenue and Wilmington...
Getting it slowly cleaned up compared to this shot...

Feels good to be home! Like I said, I am extremely grateful for not only our safety, but our home. I feel so lucky to not have water damage and "minor" damage on the outside. I feel lucky to have electricity and water. Thank you AGAIN for all your thoughts and prayers :)

Loved that I got to see some of the Giants Parade today! Wish I could have been there to enjoy it but glad I could watch all the way over here! ;)





No comments:

Post a Comment